January 1, 0000
In the beginning of his history Marken was located on the edge of a bog where the land ran into the water of the “Mare Flevo”. Marken, or earlier called ‘Markaland’, is probably derived from the word ‘mark’, meaning; ‘boundary’.
January 1, 1000
In the 11th century the actual mining began. About at the year 1000 AD. there was no ‘island Marken’. Along streams and on the highest humps, they began to create new villages.
February 16, 1164
On February 17th 1164, the ‘St. Juliana Flood’ hit the North Sea coast, this caused extensive damage. Due to this flood Markaland was seperated from the county ‘Waterland’ and because of this the ‘island Marken’ was born.
January 1, 1235
In the year 1232 the Norbertine Monks got the city of Hallum (which was located on the other side of the Zuiderzee in east Friesland), as a gift from a group of believers. They founded a sanctuary, called ‘Mariahof’. This is where the ‘Kerkbuurt’ is located nowadays.
July 23, 1345
In the spring of 1345 the monks were expelled by William the Fourth of Holland. Their property was confiscated. Their land was surveyed and counted, which was formally adopt on July 23rd in the charters of land ownership.
January 1, 1500
In the fourteenth century, the land was flooded more and more often and because of this, the inhabitants decided to make mounds and there to rebuild their homes, high and dry from the water. The mounds were called yards.
January 1, 1600
In the 17th century the people of Marken devoloped their own ‘watership’, equipped with wet ship’s holds. Initially these ships where used for fishing, as well as for the transport of live fish. The ‘Batavia Yard’ in Lelystad started the construction of a replica in 2015.
January 1, 1700
The lighthouse, “Horse of Marken”, was build in 1700 as a so called ‘square beacon’. The Horse of Marken was one of Suyderzeese Fire Beacons.
January 1, 1825
At the beginning of the 19th century, Marken was part of the plan of King William I to build a canal to improve shipping access to Amsterdam, the ‘Goudriaan Channel’.
January 13, 1916
1916: Flood ravaged the Netherlands. On January 13th and 14th a disaster strikes because of a huge storm and excessive melt water from the major rivers of the Netherlands.
January 1, 1932
The disaster gave impetus to the construction of the ‘Afsluitdijk’ (the great Dam) and the ‘Zuiderzeewerken’. The plans for the reclamation of the Zuiderzee were concrete. The four islands: Wieringen, Urk, Schokland and Marken would thereby be enabled as natural fulcrum points.
January 1, 1940
In 1940 a start was made on the drainage and embankments of the future 12th province: Flevoland. One part of the Zuiderzee was Markerwaard, of which the first part of the dike between Marken and the mainland was built.
October 17, 1957
On October 17th, 1957, at 13:11 hours, at a temperature of 14 degrees, a weak sun and moderate southwest winds, the embankment between the mainland and Marken was opened by a seawall of 1.6 km. The “island of Marken” is now a peninsula.
January 1, 1976
A beginning was made with the construction of the Houtribdijk or “Markerwaarddijk” which connects Lelystad with Enkhuizen. A result of this was that the IJsselmeer and the Markermeer were separated. In 1986 the Netherlands officially got a 12th province; Flevoland.
January 1, 1991
Marken was a separate municipality until 1991. Since January 1st, 1991 Marken – as in the Middle Ages – again is part of Waterland, as one of the cities of the same municipality, when it merged into the amalgamated municipality Waterland.
January 1, 2014
The coat of arms of Marken was no longer used since Marken merged in the municipality Waterland in 1991. However, in 2014 it started a new life!