The harbour of Marken

It took until the 19th century (1837) before there was a real port at Marken. The construction of the large Dam (Afsluitdijk) in 1932 meant an end of the fishing trade as a source of income. Thereafter the harbour of Marken increasingly focused on tourism. In the early 20th century, the port area was hit by a flood. In particular, the houses that were at the harbor itself were significantly affected. After the flood most of the fisherman’s houses located at the harbor were converted into shops and restaurants. Originally many houses at the harbor were build on wooden stilts. Nowadays most of these houses have been adjusted, the ground floor has been closed and is used as additional living space as so called “under houses.”