The ‘Kerkbuurt’ (church quarter) originally was already the center of Marken. The ‘Kerkbuurt’ originally was a ‘mound’ (yard). This mound once was called the ‘Monks Yard’. It was called ‘Monks Yard’ because of the Monks who settled in the 13th century at Marken.
Eventually a church was built on the mound. So finally it was called ‘the Kerkbuurt’ (church quarter). The current Reformed Church dates from 1904.